Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ian Andrew Harris

Ian arrived on July 24th. He weighed in at 7lbs 15oz and 21 inches.

His first few days on earth have been an adventure! I went into the hospital on the 24th with a fever and chills and when they checked Ian's heart rate it was about 200 beats per minute. (Normal heart rate for infants is around 165.) They thought I was dehydrated and after 1o tries by several different nurses and doctors from all over the hospital...they finally got an IV in me to pump in fluids. They didn't want to give me water with the possibility that I could need a C-section. Anyway, his heart rate lowered to about 180 and they took my temp again and it was 102. The Dr. decided to go ahead with a c-section and he was born about an hour later.

The NICU unit from a nearby hospital rushed over and my pediatrician and the head doctor and NICU decided that even though his apgar was 9.9 and all his vitals were great, they wanted to take him for observation to make sure he did not catch the infection i had. So, I was released today from the hospital and Ian will hopefully be out middle of next week. He is doing great...they just want to monitor him for 7 days on antibiotics.

I will let you know when he gets home and post some more pictures soon.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow, how scary, but I'm glad everything worked out okay. What another handsome man you have there. Congratulations and rest up, it is an adventure with two, haha.

Jamber (more Amber than Jaron) said...

What an entrance, Ian!
Will is a big brother!
Congratulations!!
,Amber

RWM said...

Congratulations!

At 7lbs 15oz, he must look like a monster next to the other babies in the nicu!

I love the name. I was always rooting for Ian.

Russ

turleybenson said...

So cute, Laura. Sorry it was so scary! I'm glad he's home and safe now.