Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Dirty Dozen

What is the dirty dozen?
In 2006, the Environmental Working Group released an updated report that identified foods in the conventional, non-organic food supply that contained the highest number of pesticide residues. The worst offenders, which were nicknamed the "dirty dozen," included:
Apples
Bell peppers
Celery
Cherries
Grapes (imported)
Lettuce
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Potatoes
Spinach
Strawberries


I was recently told by our water softer technician that non-organic strawberries were full of pesticides. I had been buying baskets a week from a local berry farm. Anyway, I did a little research on what fruits and veggies were high in pesticides and the results were very disturbing. We try and buy organic when available, but i would stay away from the above list unless organic...
If you want to read more about what pesticides can do to you and your system check out drgreene.com

2 comments:

Hammels said...

So whats left to eat??? I guess I will stick to skittles for my daily fruit intake. Please don't go into what happens to cows and chickens next.

Scheris said...

Thank you for posting this.. a good reminder. I do buy organic apples since I heard about them a few years ago.. but I will increase my list to include the dirty dozen. (I am Sarah's friend)